Home Brewed Events, Chhaya Cafe & Iron Hill Brewery
- Introduce yourself and talk about where you are currently working.
My Name is Ashley Lanza, I’ve been working with Meredith & Home Brewed Events for about three years now! When I’m not helping out with brewing demos and beer tasting classes, you can find me over at Chhaya Cafe in South Philadelphia. I’ve recently joined the team over at Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant as well. Clearly I like to keep busy!
- What experiences and/or jobs led you to where you are now?
My first restaurant job was at a chain called Mellow Mushroom. Their focus was on craft beer and pizza. From that job I fell in love with beer and knew I wanted to continue learning.
- What did you want to be growing up?
I honestly had a lot of trouble attempting to figure that out in high school and never really had any sense of direction, but once I stepped into the service industry I knew that was where I wanted to be.
- What was your gateway beer? Do you still enjoy it?
I would have to say Blue Moon, pretty basic but I was used to drinking PBR. I didn’t realize beer could actually taste good until someone gave me one of those. I don’t lean toward drinking wheat beers anymore but every now and then on a hot day it’s nice and refreshing.
- What is your favorite band or album to listen to while drinking a good beer?
Well anyone that knows me knows that I love Alkaline Trio and I could listen to them doing anything and everything.
- What’s your ‘local’ in Philly and why?
I frequent Lucky 13 Pub a lot just because it’s close by and the staff there is great. My friends and I like to meet up for 2 dollar dawgz every Tuesday.
- Who do you look up to in the industry? AND What is something that you have accomplished that you are proud of?
Honestly Meredith of Home Brewed Events has been a huge influence for me. She has taught me so much and has opened so many doors for me in the industry. We recently went on a trip to Belgium with Philly Loves Beer and I felt super proud and honored to have been able to join all of them. I’ve also recently passed my Cicerone Beer Server exam and aim to keep moving forward with that.
- What is something that not many people know about you?
I’m super into Taxidermy and I try to pop into any antique stores I can to search for cool pieces. (Including a famous Taxidermy shop in Amsterdam!)